Monday, January 19, 2009

Respite

I am starting to get anxious for tomorrow. I feel like I could clean and clean and clean, and add a million things to my 'to-do' list to try and be more prepared.
It's so similar to having your first baby.
You don't know what to expect, you don't know what they're going to be like, you don't know just how you're going to "do it"...
I am going to go nurse Evelyn, take a few benadryl, and take a shower.
Hopefully I will get a good nights sleep.

Tomorrow afternoon I am going to meet D, age 2, and J, age 3.
They were brought in to care about a year and a half ago, and have been with their current foster mom the whole time.
She is going to be on vacation for her daughters wedding for two weeks, hence why the kids will be with us for two weeks.
They are going to be meeting their adoptive parents as soon as their foster mother returns home.
I anticipate that they are just as nervous and anxious as we are about meeting them.
All we know that J is very protective about D and has been known to curse when stressed out.

I am so happy that the Lord has provided a "trial run" for us in the form of respite care for our first placement.
But, part of me is sad that they're only going to be here for two weeks.
None the less, we are going to try and make the best out of the next two weeks for everybody.
We have a pizza, popcorn, movie night and swimming night planned for this week.
Next week I think we're going to go roller skating.

I am anxious to see how Ethan and Evelyn react to sharing their mommy, and how Karl and I are going to react to being foster parents to 4 under 3! Even more so, I'm curious to know how these children are going to react, and how these next two weeks are going to unfold.

I'm anxious!
But I must be off to bed!

No comments: