Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Looking forward to slowing down...

I finally got done processing a 1,000+ image wedding today.
Whew! It felt really good.
Now a family shoot, engagement shoot, and another wedding to go... humph.

Evelyn has started sucking her thumb. It's the cutest thing I've ever seen.
I know I should break the habit before it even starts, but it's so adorable and conveniently right where it's suppose to be every time - unlike binkis!
She has been on a major growth spurt the last week.
She literally has grown an entire diaper size in the past two weeks alone.
She is now in 0-3 month clothing, and even some 3-6! and wearing a size TWO diaper!
I'm hoping in September, when I'm done babysitting, I'll get to spend a lot more one-on-one time with my kids.
And maybe then time will stop whizzing by.
Right now I feel like I'm in a whirl wind of "things that need to be done" all the time.
And I look forward to it slowing down a bit.

In fact, as I was reading that same book I mentioned before (Having a Mary heart in a Martha world) there was a couple paragraphs that really spoke to me again:

"Part of me is Mary. I want to worship extravagantly. I want to sit at his feet.
But part of me is Martha - and there's just so much to do!
So many legitimate needs surround me, compelling me to work. I hear God's tender call to come away, and I respond, "Yes, Lord, I will come." But then the phone rings, or I'm reminded of the check I was supposed to deposit - yesterday. Suddenly all of my good intentions about worship disappear, swallowed up by what Charles Hummel calls 'the tyranny of the urgent.'
"We live in constant tension between the urgent and the important," Hummel writes. "The problem is that the important task rarely must be done today or even this week. Extra hours of prayer and Bible study can wait. But the urgent tasks call for instant action - endless demands pressure every hour and day."
Does that sound familiar? It does to me. The twenty-four hours alloted to each day rarely stretch far enough to meet all the obligations I face. I have a household to run, a husband to love, children to care for, and a dog to feed. I have church commitments, writing deadlines, lunch engagements to keep. And very little of this is what I would call deadwood. Long ago I tried to cut out what I thought was extraneous. This is my life- and the hours are packed full.
[...] So where do we find the time to follow Mary to the feet of Jesus? Where to do we find the energy to serve him?
How do we choose the Better Part and still get done what really has to get done?
Jesus is our supreme example. He was never in a hurry. He knew who he was and where he was going. He wasn't held hostage to the world's demands or even its desperate needs. "I only do what the Father tells me to do," Jesus told his disciples.
[...] That is the intimacy that Jesus invites us to share. He invites us to know him, to see him so clearly that when we look upon him, we see the face of God as well.
[...] In obedience to his invitation, we find the key to our longings, the secret to living beyond the daily pressures that would otherwise tear us apart. For as we learn what it means to choose the Better Prat of intimacy with Christ, we begin to be changed.
This is no cookie-cutter conversion. This is a Savior who accepts us just the way we are - Mary or Martha or a combination of both - but loves us too much to leave us that way. He is the one who can give us a Mary heart in a Martha world.

No comments: